Seeing the lawn lush, green, and thick is every lawn owner’s dream. But to make the lawn green and beautiful you need to take care of certain things and one of those things is fertilizing the lawn with a good fertilizer that is suitable for the lawn. Some lawn owners have a doubt about which one to use or if specific fertilizer can be used. One fertilizer about which many have doubts is Miracle-Gro fertilizer.
So can you use Miracle-Gro fertilizer on your lawn?
Yes, Miracle-Gro fertilizer can be used on the lawn. The Miracle-Gro Lawn Food fertilizer is specially made for the lawn. This fertilizer is a soluble fertilizer that is made to give food to the lawn very instantly and boost lawn growth on all types of lawns or grasses. The Miracle-Gro fertilizer is very easy to apply to the lawn.
So now you know that you can use Miracle-Gro on your lawn but what is Miracle-Gro and how to properly apply it to the lawn to get your lawn thick and beautiful? Let’s discuss this in detail.
What is Miracle-Gro?
Miracle-Gro is an instant soluble fertilizer which is a very fast way to provide essential nutrients and micronutrients to your garden and lawn. Miracle-gro fertilizer contains mainly 3 types of ingredients that are macronutrients, secondary macronutrients, and micronutrients. Miracle-Gro can cover up to 7,200 sq. feet of lawn and can be used for all kinds of lawns and grasses. The Miracle-Gro fertilizer works as same as a normal granular fertilizer which can be mixed with water and provide nutrients faster to the soil.
Different types of Miracle-Gro
There are two types of miracle-gro fertilizers that you can use on your lawn. The Miracle-Gro lawn food and the Miracle-Gro all-purpose fertilizer. The whole difference between these two types of fertilizer is the ratio of the nutrients. The recommended ratio of fertilizer for the lawn is 3-1-2 or 4-1-2. These numbers are the ratio of nutrients N-P-K. The N is nitrogen, P is phosphorus and the K is potassium.
- Miracle-Gro Lawn Food – Miracle-Gro lawn food fertilizer is specially made for lawns but it is usually used for new lawns as it has a very high ratio of nitrogen in it compared to recommended fertilizer which is 36-0-6 or in simplest form 6-0-1. So using this fertilizer in high quantities on a normal lawn can burn the grass and ruin the whole lawn. It is used in the new lawn as nitrogen boosts the grass growth and helps the lawn to establish well and makes it very easy for the seed to germinate in the soil.
- Miracle-Gro All-Purpose Fertilizer – Miracle-Gro all-purpose fertilizer is as the name suggests made for every plant, garden, and lawn. The ratio of Miracle-Gro all-purpose is 24-8-16 which reduces to 3-1-2 which is also the recommended ratio application of fertilizer to an established and growing lawn. So using Miracle-Gro All Purpose is better than using the specific lawn fertilizer.
How to use Miracle-Gro on grass?
Miracle-Gro is a soluble fast-release fertilizer that is different from granular or slow-release fertilizers. So applying Miracle-Gro to the lawn is also different from granular fertilizer. The Miracle-Gro Lawn Food can cover up to 7200 sq feet and each packet in the box can cover up to around 1800 sq feet.
The best way to use Miracle-gro is with the garden feeder in which you can fill up the jar with the miracle-gro and attach a hose to the back and apply it to the lawn very easily. The fertilizer will come out with water in the recommended ratio and you can easily fertilize 1000 sq feet of area in 12 minutes.
If you don’t have a garden feeder then you can add one tablespoon of Miracle-Gro to one gallon of water and apply it to the lawn. You can apply one gallon of the solution to 30 sq feet of the lawn. So for every 30 sq foot, you need one gallon of mix.
- New lawn – for a new lawn if you are using the miracle-gro fertilizer. Apply one gallon of the mixture to 30 to 40 sq feet of the area every 2-3 weeks. This is because miracle-gro is high in nitrogen and it can burn the seeds if applied in excess.
- Established lawn – For a growing and established lawn the grass needs more food than a new lawn. It can also resist burning by fertilizer better than a new lawn. So you can apply one gallon of the miracle-gro solution to 20 sq feet of the lawn. If you want an instant boost of the grass then apply one gallon to a 15sq feet area. This process can be repeated every 2-3 weeks to keep your lawn green and healthy.
- Poor lawn – if your lawn is not doing well and the grass is turning yellow or not growing then your lawn needs fertilization. In this case, you can apply one gallon of miracle-gro solution to 10 sq feet of area to give the lawn instant food and make it green and healthy. After this the next time you apply the solution you can apply one gallon to every 15-20 sq feet of lawn.
Will Miracle-Gro burn grass?
Miracle-gro is a fertilizer that is good for your lawn and gives a boost to grass growth. But as it is high in nitrogen if not used properly or used in excess quantity it can burn the lawn very easily. It can burn the grass also because it is a fast-release fertilizer that releases fertilizer instantly into the soil so if you over-fertilize with miracle-gro then there is a possibility that it can damage the lawn. Old fertilizer can also have negative effects on the grass.
How often to apply Miracle-Gro to the lawn?
As miracle-gro is a fast-release fertilizer, it releases all the nutrients to the soil instantly after the application so you can’t put too much miracle-gro into the lawn at once. So the lawn needs frequent application. The recommended time between two applications of miracle-gro is between 2 to 3 weeks in the growing season.
When to apply Miracle-Gro to your lawn?
The best time to apply miracle-gro fertilizer to the warm-season lawn is after the last frost (March) when the grass is recovering from dormancy as the fertilizer will boost the growth and help the grass to recover. On the other hand, the best time to apply miracle-gro to cool-season grass is in the fall (September) when the grass starts to grow back.